I unapologetically love organic ,dark chocolate. you too should enjoy the guilt-free pleasure of relishing good quality chocolate.
~Dark chocolate has been proven to improve blood pressure and can also improve the metabolism of glucose.
~Dark chocolate contains high levels of naturally occurring plant flavonoids called polyphenols = loads of high-quality anti -oxidents.
~One of the type of polyphenol found in chocolate prevents fat-like(triglcerides) substances in our bloodstream from oxidizing and clogging arteries (arteriosclerosis), making blood platelets less sticky to each other.
The fat in pure chocolate contains a heart- friendly oleic acid
~The benefits of cocoa are negated when you eat milk chocolate. The proteins in milk bind to the antioxidants and make them less available to be absorbed. Same goes for Rooibos tea - don't add milk, drink it "black/red" (unrelated random thought).
~Also, most milk chocolates and white chocolate contain large amounts of sugar and full cream fat which can adversely affect the immune system. When cocoa is processed into your favourite chocolate products, it goes through several steps to reduce its naturally pungent taste. Flavonoids (polyphenols) provide this pungent taste. The more chocolate is processed (such as fermentation, alkalizing, roasting), the more flavonoids are lost and the more junk that's added in - hydogenated palm oil and cane sugar ( sucrose - glucose and fructose which we cannot metabolize).
Some more deliciously dark random ramblings for the day
Deeper look into the Delights of compelling cacao
- Blood Pressure: Dark chocolate is rich in magnesium and copper - regulates blood pressure
- Stress: Eating a yummy piece of choc reduces stress levels; it works by stimulating the production of endorphins that fill you with euphoria (definitely puts a smile on my dial). In addition to this decadent dark chocolate contains stimulants such as theobromine(alkaloid -not good for cats and dogs) and caffeine.
- Blood circulation improvement
- Lowers Cholesterol Levels: Dark chocolate reportedly reduces "bad cholesterol" - (LDL)
- Boosting Immunity: The two kinds of flavonoids present in chocolates are mainly Catechins and Epicatechins (along with the gallic acid is cardio-protective) .
- Dip in Depression: Serotonin boost .Woohoo!
- +++++++ Anti-oxidants
A study reported by the BBC indicated that melting chocolate in one's mouth produced an increase in brain activity and heart rate that was more intense than that associated with passionate kissing, and also lasted four times as long after the activity had ended.